AMD Posts Radeon Software 20.2.2 Drivers: Focusing on Bug Fixes and Stabilityby Ryan Smith on February 28, 2020 5:30 PM EST
Finding themselves under some fire as of late for driver quality, AMD has released their second Radeon driver update for February. Focused on improving driver stability, today's release, 20.2.2, incorporates a number of quality-of-life fixes for the drivers, including resolving system hangs and Chrome issues.
As this is essentially a bugfix driver, there are no new features to speak of. Instead, AMD’s focus, according to their release notes, is all about cataloging and fixing various driver bugs. Along with immediate stability issues, the drivers also make note of fixing issues with The Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, AMD's software overlay, and Battlefield V.
As always, AMD’s latest drivers can be found on their driver download page.
- Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
- Improvements have been made that allow for more responsive fan ramp up or fan ramp down times on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
- Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report lower than expected clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products during gaming workloads.
- When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
- A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield™ V.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt™ may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
- Some video content in Chrome™ may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.
- Metro Exodus™ may experience an application hang or TDR when choosing some specific dialogue prompts in the Sam’s Story DLC.
- Grand Theft Auto™ V may experience an application crash when invoking Radeon Software’s overlay with third party OSD applications running.
- Monster Hunter World™: Iceborne may experience intermittent crashes while idle or on the character creation screen.
- Some games colors may appear washed out when HDR mode has been enabled in game and Windows® on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products
- After a Factory Reset installation with the ‘Keep My Settings’ option chosen, Instant Replay could fail to function if it was enabled in the previous Radeon Software installation.
- When invoking Radeon Software’s overlay while a game is open users may observe flickering in the game or in the Radeon Software interface.
- Radeon Software may experience a crash and error message when locking Windows® or performing a sleep or hibernate with the Radeon Software Streaming tab open.
- A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
- Radeon Software may fail to launch if Radeon Software’s overlay is disabled and a game is running in the background.
- Battlefield™ V may experience an application hang or TDR after extended periods of play.
- Some Origin™ games may fail to be detected or may detect the incorrect game title in Radeon Software.
- Some productivity applications are being detected and listed in the Radeon Software games tab.
- The Radeon Chill hotkey could sometimes continue to remain enabled once the user has removed or disabled the hotkey.
- Red Dead Redemption™ 2 may exhibit blocky textures on snow covered terrain.
- After resuming from sleep, Chrome™ may experience an application crash if video content was previously playing on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
- Radeon FreeSync status in Radeon Software may sometimes fail to update when enabling or disabling the feature through the display itself.
- Fortnite™ may experience an application crash on Radeon RX 500 series Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
Post Your CommentPlease log in or sign up to comment.
View All Comments
Qasar - Tuesday, March 3, 2020 - linkmust just be specific issues then, i have had issues with both from time to time.
Korguz - Wednesday, March 4, 2020 - linkheh, and yet, other people can say the same about nvidia's, go figure
Colin1497 - Saturday, February 29, 2020 - linkThis 2020 release has not been their finest hour. In many ways the last 2019 drivers are still the best choice. That said, this does feel like progress.
clsmithj - Saturday, February 29, 2020 - linkI saw Witcher 3 mentioned in the report and know that I was definitely having issues playing that game with my RX 5700XT 50th Anniversary when I got to the Olegard rose mission. I will swap back in my RX 5700XT from my RTX 2080 to test this new driver. Hopefully they also fixed the full screen video file playback freeze. I'll test that too and be back here to post the results.
silencer12 - Saturday, February 29, 2020 - linkGive the results to AMD.
clsmithj - Saturday, February 29, 2020 - linkI'm back, they appeared to fixed all the issues I had, even got to play some The Division 2, with no issue provided I don't touch any of the Radeon overclock options.
HStewart - Saturday, February 29, 2020 - linkOne thing I am curious about the driver support on my XPS 15 2in1 with 8705G with AMD created GPU - this cpu is being discontinue in my guess for Xe GPU in the future and I am curious because even though AMD created GPU, Intel is part of it. Where support will end up.
StevoLincolnite - Saturday, February 29, 2020 - linkSupport for any semi-custom designs were always going to be flaky at best.
AMD may take the driver responsibility upon themselves like they have done with notebooks, but don't hedge your bets on it.
HStewart - Sunday, March 1, 2020 - linkYes, that is likely reason the product idea is being discontinue and not planned in the future using that GPU type.
mrvco - Sunday, March 1, 2020 - linkRan the cleanup utility and installed these driver's when they became available. So far so good. No more black screen crashes and no other issues.